Tuesday 21 August 2007

Nikon-Nikkor 50mm f/1,8 review

Well, it's not a classic review. It's more or less my impressions of this lens. Yes, it's a lens. Yes, it's small. Yes, it's cheap. But what a small cheap lens it is! Metal mount, DOF scale (Canon 50mm f/1,8 users, eat your heart out!), fast focus and reasonably well made. Fast focus? Yes. It is a fast focusing lens. It takes approx 1 sec to focus from infinity to min focus and back! For me this is fast. Is it for you? Sharp? You bet it is! At f/1,8 I don't hesitate to take a portrait. Of course, you can't expect to have sharp corners here. But on min DOF portraits, this is an advantage, not a weakness. For me at least. If you shoot a lot of resolution charts with this lens at f/1,8, you can be disappointed with corner sharpness and CA. But, than again, why would you do that? Shoot a lot of charts... It's my lens of choice for walk-around and it's happily mounted on my Nikon D80 (you can read my review of Nikon D80 here). I know it's not wide enough for street-photo, but which lens with f/1,8 or less would you recommend?! Oh, would you? And price for this lens is....? Now, don't get me wrong here. It's far from perfect, it has limitations, but it's hard to beat price/performance ratio for this lens.Would I recommend this lens? Without any hesitation.

Take a pictures and decide for yourself.

f/2
Corner "no-sharpness" is advantage with min DOF portraits.

f/1,8

Colours ain't bad either

Guess what? If you put Raynox DCR 250 on it, you get pretty good 1:2 macro lens.

Again, nice little lense. It's a must have.

No comments: